Saturday, June 8, 2013

It's Always Something

Inspirational song: Mad Man Moon (Genesis)

I'm noticing a pattern. I have about a week of enthusiasm for working, observing, and writing, and then I have a day or two when it's all very difficult to keep up the pace. Today was a good day to start with a tough workout in the pool at the Y, fall asleep from exhaustion with a coffee cup in hand, and then waste the daylight watching movies I DVRed months, or in one case, years ago. As the sun is lowering, I finally completed a perimeter walk, to feed the mosquito bloom that follows tropical storms, and take photos of what is blooming now, so the man can see his garden. I found that for the first time I can remember, we have successfully grown more than one single gladiolus. This is pretty exciting for me. Now that we kept them alive long enough to flower, we need to learn how to plant them so that they grow straight up, not tipped over at a 45 degree angle. 

I need to relearn that lesson about being careful what I ask for. A week ago I worried my grass was drying out dangerously. Today, 3-4 inches of rain later, it's taller than my ankles, perfect cover for that snake I keep looking for, hoping to see every time I approach my shed and woodpile. I suspect one day soon I will regret hoping to see one (especially now that the tall cowboy who is in the Bonfire crew has a fresh snakeskin hatband, courtesy of the poisonous fellow who sent him to the emergency room in May). 

Today really has been a pleasant lazy Saturday. I needed it. There are lots of things that need doing, and I allow that I may get one or two plants repotted or deadheaded before night sets in. But today is a day not to feel overwhelmed. Today is a day to regroup and relax.

No comments:

Post a Comment