Wednesday, June 12, 2013

The Things I Do for Love

Inspirational song: Stay Up Late (Talking Heads)

In the immortal words of Roger Murtaugh (Danny Glover) in Lethal Weapon, "I'm getting too old for this shit." It has been a very long, difficult 24 hours. The foster kittens are more of a challenge than I believed. They have problems digesting, so I'm having to give them metronidazole and then probiotics in their formula. And I have done three loads of laundry since they came home with me at this time yesterday, a combination of their bedding and my clothes, with another due very shortly. I called three different numbers this morning, seeking advice, and even texted one of the shelter techs, but I couldn't reach a human no matter what I did. By late morning I was very concerned about them and drove them back in to be checked out. They took them for about half an hour, washing and feeding them, leaving me in the waiting room. They completely disregarded everything I had said about how frighteningly often they were eliminating (two week old kittens should poop less than once a day, so once every hour or more is a concern!) So here we are, back again at the Park. I want so desperately to do right by these little pinkies, and I am not sure there's enough of a cushion for me to learn on the job. Infant kittens are so fragile.

I suppose it is just as well I am spending all my time inside now. The heat finally arrived. And it is on the heels of so much rain that when I opened the door to let the dogs out last night, the whole outside smelled of dirty socks, or laundry left for days in the washer to mildew. It was nauseating. While I hide from the heat, I need to decide on a good natural spray for my roses. Something has come along and eaten off most of the leaves on at least three bushes up front. I've heard of several different concoctions over the years. I am not sure what works best in the humid southeast. I'm not even sure whether the problem is insects or too much rain.

I need to make the trek to the pet store to get the pre-moistened towels to bathe the kittens. Damp wash cloths aren't doing the trick. The little ones are just staying wet and cold, and I'm not getting enough of the mess off of them. It's a shame the closest store I know of is about 10 miles from here, through thick rush hour traffic. I will be kind and skip a photo today. None of us are ready for our close-ups right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment