Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Persistence

Inspirational song: Back In the Saddle Again (Gene Autry)

How often do we hear it? If you fall, get back up. If you fail, try again. Practice, practice, practice. I am spending long weeks teaching myself what it takes to make a habit, and what it takes to feel like a success. There have been so many days when I didn't want to write, when I felt uninspired, but I was determined to keep the promise to myself to do this every day. It gets a little easier each time, and it never stops feeling good when I live up to my own expectations.

I started painting again today also. I made that little sketch the day before the last board meeting, but I let so many things take priority that I put it down and let it linger for a while. It still has a long, long way to go, but all of the colors are fully roughed in now. I came up with a plan for the next small painting project as well. I don't think any of them are destined to be masterpieces, but just retraining my muscles and brain to do the right things. But then, my favorite painting, the one I am most proud of, came from one of those moments when I just needed to create, and I reached for the closest flat surface I could paint on. It happened to be a scrap piece of drywall, and now I'm left with something wonderful that I have found impossible to frame for nearly ten years. I think about being brave and using the table saw to make a simple frame the way I've pictured it in my mind. I'm still just a little leery of power tool accidents while I'm here alone.

I'm thrilled with how I'm feeling now that I've gotten back around to the idea of weight lifting and water aerobics as well. After feeling so bad for so long, I am in danger of sounding like a born-again zealot now that I've rediscovered healthy living and healthy eating. But there are much worse things I could do. I'd rather rave than rant or whine. I have another couple things in the works, one I said I'd never do again twenty years ago, one I said that about last week. I'm feeling pretty brave these days. I'll talk about them as I see whether they work out. For now, I'm optimistic.



No comments:

Post a Comment