Thursday, June 27, 2013

Keeps Rainin' All the Time

Inspirational song: Stormy Weather (Lena Horne)

The rain just isn't stopping this year. Down here it has only sprinkled a little in the last couple hours, but yet another big line of storms has started marching through the area. I don't think we've missed a day in weeks. The up side is my water bill is going to be awfully small for what I'm trying to grow around here. The down side is I am finding it very difficult to gauge the amount of water in the container plants versus what is in the ground, and the in-ground plants are swamped and covered in brown spots while the hanging baskets are crunchy (especially my calibrachoa). The top level of the pallet garden has been the worst of all. I think it has to do with the soil I used up there (when I ran out of potting soil, I stretched it with garden soil, and that was a big, dry mistake.) Lots of my flowers that are in the ground are rotted messes, including the pretty carnations that had once been doing so well both in the front beds and under the pallet. I have one little watermelon the size of a big gumball from one of those quarter machines, and I suspect my rodent thieves are just letting me get my hopes up so they can laugh their evil little asses off when I come find it removed in a few weeks.

Yesterday I didn't want to leave the house. I'd had an emotional day, and didn't want to do anything. I kept wanting to believe that all the constant rumbling thunder I heard would cancel water aerobics, but I forced myself to drive out anyway. I looked at the radar map before I left, and saw the storms weren't too close to the area around the Y north of here. I noticed some watch and warning boxes, but didn't think too hard on what the red box just barely south of me meant. I drove the 8-9 miles, found the pool door locked because of lightning, and talked to a woman in the locker room who said something about a weather warning. I finally paid attention to the text on the weather app, and realized that there was a tornado warning just across the river from my house. It takes 20 minutes to drive to that neighborhood, but it's just four or five miles as the crow flies. So instead of working out, I drove home to make sure my Park was ok. It was completely untouched. It sounds like the event itself was strong enough to knock over some trees in the saturated ground, but not much else.

I am starting to get used to going solo again, when I want to go out to find entertainment. Tonight is another trip to the movies by myself. It's one of the easiest things to do without a date for me. I have gone a few times since my man went away. Every time it has rained hard enough to be heard over the films. This time I'll make sure I check the weather warnings.

No comments:

Post a Comment