Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Free to Walk About the Cabin

Inspirational song: Let's Get Physical (Olivia Newton John)

It is amazing the difference a few months can make. This past winter I was miserable, stuck in a spiral of bad habits and bad health, not sure how to get out of it, or even sure that I was going to be able to escape. As bad as my attitude and prospects appeared, I really didn't have an option to give up and accept defeat. I had things that needed doing and the onus was entirely on me to shape up and take care of them myself. The first weeks were a rough climb, but I think I'm finally at cruising altitude. And oddly enough, I think the stumble last week did more to demonstrate how far I've come than if I'd not made any mistakes at all. I was able to recover, and get back to healthy eating and activity in a shorter time than at any point I can recall in the last three or four years. Yesterday at the Y, I was able to spend an hour in the weight room, and an hour in the pool, and today I just have a little muscle fatigue and vague soreness. It makes me want to jump around and cheer, having such definitive proof that I have completely broken free from the dark place. It also helps getting rid of a few stressors that had been weighing heavily on my shoulders. I made it in for a regular checkup, something I'd been putting off for a year, and scheduled a screening that is more than three years overdue. Two fewer things dragging me down; two steps closer to a clear conscience and open schedule.

Not everything was all hearts and rainbows. I did find more rather annoying evidence of rodent activity. Some little idiot had decided since he had removed all the green tomatoes on one plant, he would shred the stalks so no one else can have more tomatoes later in the year. It's past the middle of June now. I don't think it's worth it to attempt to start over with fresh plants. But I think on my way to see a movie this afternoon, I'm going to stop in and read up on sonic pest control options. And I will spare my mother's sensibilities and keep all the obscene names I'm going to fling at the rodents off the blog. You're welcome, mom.


1 comment: