Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Eastern Eden

Inspirational song: Rocking the Paradise (Styx)

What is the first thing tech support tells you to do when your computer is acting up? Unplug and reboot. That is exactly what I had to do to my physical self last night, and darned if it didn't work. After hitting the hay early last night, I woke refreshed and ready for a glorious day of hard work in the Park, and I definitely enjoyed doing it. The cold front that blew through yesterday kept the temperatures in the low sixties, and with the clear skies and gentle breeze, it would have taken shackles and a mean bodyguard to keep me inside today. Since neither of those were present, I was able to spend hours making my surroundings a little more perfect. I am nearly through all of the bedding plants that I've brought home over the last month. There are only a few accent flowers, the big jasmine, and the lettuce and spinach from seed to go. As I went along today, I swept up the desiccated petals shed by the ornamental tree in the deck, and rearranged the containers a few times. I needed to balance the colors and intersperse the insect-repelling plants among the veggies. Doing that makes me feel like I am almost done. I have nearly completed my little paradise. 

I love standing off on one side, just taking in the view of it all. It is the best room in the house, and it's not even technically in the house at all. I have to keep it clear of insects this year. I couldn't bear it if they chased me inside and stole it from me, as they did last year. To prevent that from happening, I installed the new bug zapper behind the house. I repurposed the shepherd's hook plant hanger from the front yard as a temporary post. It's still plugged in now, but I have yet to hear a single incinerated insect. I don't know, am I supposed to unplug it when it rains?

I did a circuit around the house, taking note of the large number of blooming roses I have currently. Nearly all of the bushes are either in bloom now, or about to be within the week. By the time the Kentucky Derby rolls around, the Park will be awash in roses on all sides. I need to get into the habit of cutting them and keeping a fresh arrangement inside at all times. What good is living in paradise if I don't take time to appreciate it fully? The furry kids sure used it to its fullest. Everyone seemed to be wound up tight today, running around and being obnoxious to each other. The red-headed dog did speed laps like he used to do at dog park when he was young, and Athena was going for a Park record for tree climbing. Every time I turned around, she was in a different one. I only had to help her down once, and threaten her with expulsion from the Park twice, for climbing too high in another.

No comments:

Post a Comment