Thursday, April 17, 2014

Movement

Inspirational song: Another Brick in the Wall Part 2 (Pink Floyd)

It has now been almost exactly seven months since I flew out to Colorado, to deal with the damage done to our condos in the floods. I assumed that I would make a few executive decisions as the homeowner, for the parts that would be handled by a restoration crew, but for the most part I would get my hands dirty and do a lot of repair work myself. My brother even came out to help, bringing some of his construction tools with him. Instead, we were told all work would be handled by the contracted crews, else insurance wouldn't pay a dime. We were dismayed to be told it would be two to four months for the cleanup and repair, knowing that if we were allowed to pitch in, it would go much faster. It's been about three or four months since we ran face first into the brick wall of insurance adjusters trying to deny as much of the claim as they could (naturally), coupled with the disappointing revelation that the clean up company was not as honest and trustworthy as we had assumed they were. 

A team of lawyers later, and Lloyd's of London has finally started paying on the claim. We have been getting email updates from the new rebuild team leaders, and over the last month, there is actually visible progress on our condos. My younger daughter triumphantly reported to Facebook yesterday that she finally has drywall going up in her apartment. Right on time, the project managers called me today to get a final answer on paint colors and flooring choices. Painting is scheduled for next Wednesday. This is probably not the optimal time for all of this to speed up, since my younger girl is three weeks away from finishing up her last semester at school (and if this doesn't finally result in a degree, I'm going to lose my mind). They're going to need a lot of input from her, and then want both girls to move from one condo to the other in haste, so they can start on the second. I hope this isn't one more blow to the kid's education. It seems like something is always chipping away at her progress.

I had a great conversation with the physical therapist today about why I always feel like I've been run over by a truck after the dry needling sessions. I can't repeat verbatim what he said, not having the years of education and supplemental study that he has, but the short version is that indeed, much of this tension and nerve stimulation feeds back into the central nervous system. There is evidence that a lot of people experience fatigue and soreness exactly like I do afterwards. I don't have to keep feeling like it's coming out of left field, and I don't have to have guilt over needing to lie about the house, accomplishing little. As long as the duration is short, it's a normal response. Today it left me limping and sore. It was all I could do to take the man on a Skype tour of the Park, as he asked me to do. It's getting gorgeous out there, and all I wanted to do was sit inside. I think the only accomplishments today were watering and moving a plant from the kitchen to the porch. I will need to double down tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment