Sunday, April 20, 2014

The 420 Experience

Inspirational song: Roll Your Own (Hoyt Axton feat. Arlo Guthrie)

It is now the first day of year two for this blog. I don't know yet whether it will change much as it matures, but I figured on its birthday, it might be nice to use it to have a grown up discussion about changes I see on the horizon. Ever since we started our life as nomads nearly two decades ago, we have always assumed we would move back to Colorado one day, once we were done roaming the world. We are getting closer to that day when we will be ready to settle down into our forever house, maybe a few years out still, or maybe sooner than later. But now when we talk about moving to Colorado, we are frequently greeted with giggles and leers, as if there is only one reason now that anyone would move out there. I am torn between wanting to tell my friends to grow up, and agreeing with them that I think the recent change in the law is a positive step forward that I think other states will follow in the years to come.

I have long considered our national drug laws to be ridiculous when it comes to cannabis. Despite a multitude of industrial and medical uses, it has been demonized in ways that make no sense. It was listed as a schedule one controlled substance, as if it were as dangerous and addictive as heroin or meth. Thousands of lives have been ruined by it, not from use, but from being caught with tiny amounts of it, arrested and sent through the prison industrial complex. For some of these individuals, they were thrown into the system even after decriminalization of possession happened, when the horribly unfair "stop and frisk" policies were enacted. Enforcement of draconian drug laws has cost taxpayers billions, choked up the legal system, overcrowded prisons, diverted police resources away from investigating violent crimes, and ruined lives. I honestly believe that it can and should be taxed and regulated, exactly as Colorado has done. No one should be toking and driving, any more than they should drink and drive. Underage smoking should be discouraged as much, or even more so, than underage drinking. But by cutting the drug cartels out of the loop, Colorado has made consumption and acquisition safer, and has reversed a long trend of decline in revenues that leaves other states cutting their education and highway budgets. Yes, I do believe this is good for the state and for its citizens.

All this said, I do not live in a state where it is legal yet. They have only recently advanced the notion of medical cannabis here, but the way it is represented on the television news, it seems to be very narrowly defined to fit a certain case that was local news. I have no interest in indulging in it recreationally at this point in my life (and I do not), but I do not dare to assume I will always feel that way. I have many years ahead of me yet. If I found myself with cancer, for example, absolutely I would look to see whether it is the right thing for me right then. And I would want my future self to be able to make that decision for myself, legally and safely. I'm a big girl, and I am capable of evaluating risks and rewards. And ultimately, I would like to give my fellow adults the same consideration. I think they deserve it.

A note on pictures for today. I didn't go out and take very many, since the weather was still sketchy. But I do have quite a collection of photos of poison ivy, and following an essay on weed is probably as good a time as any for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment