Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Calming

Inspirational song: Push (Feelin' Good on a Wednesday) (Sia)

I haven't been shy with the details that come with caring for a handicapped dog. It has really been winding me up, trying to keep up with the extra mess and smell, and whining has been just about the only way I can keep from developing an ulcer. Yesterday, Mr Smith-Park opened the mail that collected during our vacation, and I was proven correct. Our electricity and water bills have indeed skyrocketed from washing Murray's bedding and all the towels used to bathe him nearly daily. Before I got sick, I had made one prototype for a pair of hot pants for him, which didn't fit at all. Today I freely admitted the next one is staying on the drawing board indefinitely, so we took Murray to Petsmart to get one off the shelf, to use with the liners I already had. He doesn't seem to mind that I got him the kind meant for female dogs, and they appear to be working well so far. I have already calmed down so much, and my relationship with the new dog is greatly improved because of it. There have been no major accidents all day, and I think he can tell we are happier with him. At least he could, until his daddy decided to try the wrist braces again, and put the Cone of Shame on him to make sure he doesn't try to gnaw off the braces. There was much dramatic flopping and flailing immediately after that, enough to persuade me that the cone was not a good idea. I'm not winning that argument yet, however.

This last vacation was the first time I got my act together enough to bring the original dogs' beds with them when I dropped them off to board. I think I know now why I never did it before. The stress of being away from home, even in the camp they love so much, led to a little destructive behavior. Elsa's blanket has some shreds in the middle, and they handed me Bump's bed in a black trash bag. The ensuing trip to Petsmart ended up being spendy, but lucky for me there was a Christmas sale on big, cheap dog beds. I intend to add some eggcrate foam to them for heft, but these new ones will work in the short term.

For the first time, I am feeling like we are all settling in together. Alfred and Zoe just sniffed noses, and no one hissed. The man is lying on the floor, between a dozing Bump and a relaxed Murray. The house is fairly quiet (other than my basketball game on the internet radio). The first Christmas lights have come out, and I have most of my presents planned for this year (and for the first time in years, I am enjoying that part of it). Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's a good Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment