Saturday, December 27, 2014

My Day of Rest

Inspirational song: Sabbath Bloody Sabbath (Black Sabbath)

We have hit that point in the holiday vacation where we are all overfed, overtired, and ready to do little more than play games on our devices, watch football, and do a little bargain shopping. I rather like days like this, where I have family for companionship, but there is so little pressure to live up to anyone's expectations. I even was allowed to sleep in a couple hours, and no one poked their head into my room to demand that I appear to make or eat breakfast. I'm not sure, but I think this is the first time in all of recorded history that I got to do that at my dad's house. Each and every one of us has had a nap today, and I think that was true of yesterday as well. This is what vacation is supposed to be about. The men went to explore an archaeological site not far from here, but I am giving my smashed foot another day of rest before I go hiking around on it.

The dogs are causing me less embarrassment today. Yes, they are still barking like idiots, and yes, Murray is being Murray. But we have made it through nearly an entire day without any major damage to the structure of my parents' cabin or garage. I'm a little afraid of saying that out loud. The day isn't over yet. They've had a couple walks in the hills, and Murray kept the whole pack safe from the shadows of the three dogs and the man as they wandered around after dark. We saw an article online about dogs being brought home from war zones with a picture of a dog that looked remarkably similar to him, who had a set of wheels almost exactly like his. I felt compelled to check out the window to make sure he was still in the yard, and not hanging out with some British ex-soldier thousands of miles away.

I have a new piece of furniture I want to construct, and after spending a couple hours in a department store that has as close to everything as one rural mountain store can get (it's seriously huge, with levels that keep going down like a parking garage), I have a lot of inspiration. I just need a little end table, but I saw so many that had the potential to keep some of my breakables safe from Zoe the Destroyer, that it might morph into a bigger project. I have a lot of unfinished things lying around the house. Maybe I can make a deal with myself, that if I finish one big one or two little ones, I will earn the right to start this end table. How long do you think that will hold me off? My guess is not very long.

No comments:

Post a Comment