Tuesday, December 9, 2014

The End of the Day

Inspirational song: Never Been Any Reason (Head East)

We loaded up the car this morning, while our regular hostess was walking her kids to school in the frosty Colorado air. Driving to the airport was difficult with the rising sun trying to blind us. When we stepped out of the airport this evening, after dark, back in the Low Country, the man said, "I hate this flying east nonsense." It feels more like losing a whole day when it's December. We were home by seven, but it seemed so much later. I found the energy reserve somewhere to run to the store and stock up on protein and veggies (and the least overripe mango I could find, so I could make one of the best chicken dishes I ever invented -- I may have been tired, but I wasn't ready to eat junk food). Now I just need to write quickly, so I can drag myself to my own big, soft, cat-covered bed. Yes, we had a couple kitties snuggle up with us on vacation, but they aren't my babies. I missed my own kids.

Actually, I was very concerned what I'd come home to find. Zoe Pajamas is having a hard time integrating to the Pride, and we got a phone call yesterday saying she tried to cut a bitch. She threw a large vase off of the top of the refrigerator, smashing it to bits on the floor. When the Bonfire leader came to feed the cats, she said Jackie was flopping and rolling in the broken glass, trying to get her attention. We suggested that while she was vacuuming up the glass, she should use the tools to vacuum Jackie as well, but we didn't know whether she would actually do it. I have been worried for the last day and a half that I'd come home to find Jack or someone who helped to groom her in distress from swallowing glass. When Zoe and Alfred were the only ones to greet us at the door, it didn't help me calm down. I couldn't manage to coax Rabbit and Athena out from under the bed. They just shot rays of guilt out of four accusing eyes until I gave up and got ready to go buy food.

It is time to give up and recover from vacation. Even if no one else is ready to forgive me, Alfred wants me to focus all of my attention to him. I have every reason to close the computer and go to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment