Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Cogito Ergo Something

Inspirational song: Four Wheel Drive (C.W. McCall)

I have often wondered, in regards to houses first, and now to cars, at what point in a renovation do you just admit there is nothing left of the original and you have created a completely new product? I think about this every time I see episodes of Blog Cabin on DIY, where they go on and on about some coastal cabin they bought in North Carolina somewhere. They talk about how cool the original thing was, but on their time lapse video of the initial construction, they didn't just strip it to studs, they pulled the frame all the way off, expanded the footings, and rebuilt with new treated lumber. Why bother pretending it was the same building? They just used some reclaimed wood in the decorating, and that's about it.

So this morning, the man was on the phone with the DMV, asking about what to do to renew the long-since expired tags on the jeep he is completely restoring. There was some discussion of paperwork and VIN verification, and he said, oh, well, the VIN plate is currently in my pocket. At that moment, my feelings on the jeep entirely changed. It was like that moment when I saw the Blog Cabin stripped down to just the foundation. He has taken apart every piece of the jeep. The engine is in sitting on a pallet in the body shop, waiting for the tub, frame, and other pieces to be sandblasted in another shop. I suspect if I were to ask, I'd find out that other bits are in other places. This doesn't take into account all the new metal that has to be welded on to the rusted places, the roll cage that will replace the roll bar, and the topper and doors that came from a different vehicle entirely. Once it is reassembled, and all is said and done, when that VIN plate goes on the sandblasted and freshly repainted dash, does it actually belong there? Is it still the same CJ5 that it was 30-something years ago?

I suppose cars really don't have existential crises. Neither do cabins. But after a week on meds that make me slightly (mostly) crazy, maybe I am having one. I need a vacation. How fortunate one is imminent.


No comments:

Post a Comment