Sunday, January 14, 2018

After a Long Hiatus, It's an ATK Post

Inspirational song: Cinnamon Girl (Neil Young)

Somewhere around here is the notebook I have been writing down my food experiments in. I even found it two weeks ago, to make something according to one of my own recipes (I've already forgotten what it was). I have no clue where the notebook is now, and I really should memorialize what I did today. It was a recipe I will want to revisit, especially once I perfect my "rolling" technique.

I was craving blueberry pancakes when I unloaded all of my flours, some eggs and butter, and berries onto the counter. But when I brought up Pinterest to use as a springboard, its programming had already learned what I usually search for, and presented me with a change in plans. Right there on the front page: gluten-free cinnamon rolls. I skipped the ones that called for yeast. I didn't want this to take all day. I found an easy recipe that called for a blend of flours that I don't own and didn't want to use, but the mechanics of the process seemed sound. I read the ratios and took it from there. So I don't forget, I'll put my specifics here. They came out so well, I must not lose this info.

Dry Ingredients:

1 cup cassava flour (not tapioca starch)
1/2 cup almond flour
1/4 cup arrowroot
1/4 cup coconut flour
(it was actually slightly more cassava, slightly less arrowroot and coconut, but I'm rounding up.)
1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/2 teaspoon pink salt
1/4 cup granulated sugar

Wet Ingredients:

3 (generous) tablespoons butter, room temperature
1 egg, room temperature
1/2 cup milk
juice and zest from 1 small lemon

Filling:

2 tablespoons butter, mostly melted in the microwave
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 - 1 1/2 tablespoon cinnamon (I kept adding because I wanted more)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup chopped pecans

Icing:

3/4 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

I thoroughly blended the dry ingredients in one bowl. In another I stirred together the butter and egg until they were mostly blended. I added the milk and kept stirring. I poured this into the dry mix, and stirred with a fork, but it was quite dry. I zested the lemon over the top and added the juice. I gave up on the fork and started blending with my hands, and this worked much better. I eventually got a smooth but solid dough, that wasn't too sticky. I pressed it out on parchment paper on top of a cookie sheet, and tried using a rolling pin, but it started to stick, so I stopped when it was about 8 x 10 inches. I should have rolled it thinner, and will next time. I mixed up the filling (except nuts) and spread it all over the rolled out dough. I sprinkled the pecans evenly over the sugar filling. I used the parchment to force the dough into a fat roll, and did the best I could to shape it into an even cylinder. I used dental floss to cut the individual rolls, and set them on fresh parchment, about an inch and a half apart. (I had no idea whether they would hold their shape, grow, melt, or what.) I had them on an insulated cookie sheet, baking for 25 minutes when I checked them the first time. They weren't browning, so I let them cook another 7 minutes or so. Cassava flour doesn't really brown, so I eventually just had to hope they were done by that point. I let them cool a few minutes while I mixed the icing (and to be honest, I did not measure it. Use your own judgement on consistency), and then drizzled it on top lightly.

These were fantastic. My technique definitely needs work. They were pretty fat rolls, so they were sort of cakey. I didn't mind it so much. Leaving them in so long made the filling caramelize a bit, which was nice. I had fresh ones at breakfast, and one as dessert after a late dinner, and they didn't dry out like wheat flour rolls do. I will definitely make these again.


No comments:

Post a Comment