Thursday, January 4, 2018

Hill of Beans

Inspirational song: Miracles (Starship)

How on earth did I manage this? I am fairly certain I am not scheduled to leave the house tomorrow. I already planned out how I'm going to approach this. I put on new jammies I got for Christmas, and I expect to wear them until well after noon tomorrow. I'm going to sleep late, and maybe stay in bed and watch TV in the morning while I catch up on some of the computer work that I put off in favor of everything else in the last few days. I will probably not get everything accomplished that has been on hold, but I will get enough of it that I can get some deep breaths into relaxed lungs by nightfall. It might not sound like a lot, but trust me, this is something to be cherished.

After staying up until around 2 in the morning two nights in a row, and needing to be up and at 'em at what most people would consider normal start times (e.g. leaving the house by 8 this morning to go to Fort Collins), I'm a little loopy but I'm quite proud of what I've accomplished during my late night crafting binges. I'm really struggling with whether to reveal any of it in photos, though. It was supposed to be finished by tonight (it wasn't) and revealed to all in one big surprise gesture. Instead I got the primary piece finished last night and after hours of complex seat-of-my-pants geometry, I got the most difficult portion designed and cut. I would have tortured myself sitting up at the sewing machine after hours over a cutting table had we not had company over tonight. Somewhere in my homebody solo pajama party tomorrow, I need to construct what I have cut, not because my deadline wasn't extended by a week, but because I'm excited to see how this turns out. I think it is going to be very special.

We learned a new card game this evening, since not all of our regular crew could be present for Thursday night game night. It seemed like a weird premise for a game: collect cards depicting different varieties of beans, and then grow, harvest, and sell them. The real strategy in the game was figuring out how to trade and collect for the most points. The first time around was eerily even - our score was 15 - 15 - 15 - 14. The guy who got 14 was nominated to shuffle and deal the next time around, and then get to play last. The second game I got 15 again, and the guys all scored much higher (17, 19, and 22). I really thought I had done better than that. I shouldn't feel too defeated though. These were the guys I played games with nearly 30 years ago, who were so cutthroat with each other I very nearly swore off games for life to avoid playing with them. It's probably a miracle that we were so nice to each other now, in our maturity. If this can be considered mature.





No comments:

Post a Comment