Thursday, January 25, 2018

Character Development

Inspirational song: Play the Game (Queen)

These weekly game nights are starting to get really good. Over the course of about a month and a half, we have gone from being either totally rusty or entirely brand new to the idea of role playing games, to diving deeply into our characters and knowing just how to wear their skin for the whole night. We are starting to understand how our alter egos differ from our normal selves, and it's no longer awkward trying to interact with each other with unfamiliar dynamics as a group. Tonight, we were fully immersed, and to put it bluntly, we got crap done. There was a whole lot less discussion, almost no "should we do this?" It played into my hands very well, too. As I have said many times about my own character, "I am a dwarf of action. I start moving." I have a high intelligence score, but to put it generously, slightly below average wisdom. After a few game nights, I have come to understand that this makes me over-confident and impulsive. The last two weeks I have set off on my own while others were still discussing strategy. Was that smart? Maybe yes, maybe no. Was it annoying to the others? Might have been. Would my character have intuited that? Doubtful.

After years of feeling cut off from the world, this new trend of getting together with people that I like, and participating in group activities is the most valuable, treasured thing in my life right now. I want it to keep going, and to expand. I keep talking to more people about the idea of having periodic mah jongg and bunco nights too, and so far I'm seeing positive feedback. I'm not the only one who wants this connection. This thrills me.

I will need to poll my friends and family to see what schedules look like, and how soon I can get at least 12 people here to play bunco. That's the easiest big game of all to put together, if I can find the people. I used to run the bunco club for the base spouses, before it became so popular that it was a regularly scheduled social that nearly every single person showed up to play. Once people find out how easy and fun it is, they get hooked. Come on in, kids. You're going to like playing here.


No comments:

Post a Comment