Saturday, January 6, 2018

Round Ball

Inspirational song: Rejoice (University of Colorado Basketball Pep Band)

Football season went by quickly, and the team didn't win a whole lot of games. It wasn't as bad as the first half of this decade, but it was no 2016 season. I had promised to take the Rotary exchange student to a game, but I had so much going on this year (mostly medical issues) that I never bought tickets. I felt horrible for promising and not delivering. To make it up to her, I told her I would take her to a basketball game over her winter break from school. Then I realized the game we had identified as our best opportunity to go out wasn't actually a home game. I'm generally an honest, safe person to be around, but I don't think it would be appreciated if I tried to take the teenage girl across state lines to go to a basketball game. Doesn't seem appropriate. Never gonna happen. So we chose a different date, just after winter break: Today.

Our exchange student seemed more interested in basketball than football, so this worked out for the best. She admitted that her first host family had taken her to a Denver Nuggets vs Philadelphia 76ers game, and she cheered for the 76ers, because there was a player from her home country of Croatia on the team. A football game would have been a novel experience, but she understood the rules and strategy of basketball. It was more fun for both of us.

I had a moment of regret when I learned that our team won over number 4 ranked Arizona State on Thursday. We debated going to that game, but chose a weekend day game instead. It took a really long time to get into the building through security, and the game was already four minutes in by the time we got inside. CU was up something like 7 to 2 by then. We have no idea who scored first before we got seated, but from the moment we started watching until the buzzer sounded at the end, CU never trailed. Arizona was ranked 14 when they came to Colorado this morning. We were surrounded by fans wearing red, who stood up every time their team got the ball (whether rebounded, turned over, or after CU scored), and who chanted gruffly "U of A! U of A!" It was a little scary to be there wearing gold and black. The Arizona team was incredibly talented, and they had two of the tallest college players I have ever seen in person. In the last two years when I filled out my brackets, twice I picked Arizona to go all the way. I really did not expect to see CU win. What fun it was to be surprised.

I promised our exchange student that if CU does well this season, and we are still winning at the end of February, I'd take her to one of the last home games of the year. A lot can happen in the next two months. Let's go, Buffs...








No comments:

Post a Comment