Friday, February 16, 2018

Freaky Friday

Inspirational song: Lawyers, Guns, and Money (Warren Zevon)

Holy moly, what a day! I mean, really, all day, so much to sort through. I'm utterly exhausted from it all, but at the same time, completely stoked that crazy cool things kept happening. I kind of wish I'd gotten home from the pinnacle of the day before midnight, so I didn't have to rush through my blog.

At first I planned for three things today: show a house in the morning, bake a cake in the afternoon, and go play games at night. The house this morning was beautiful, but I don't think my folks will take it. It's just not laid out in a way that appealed to them, even though it was exactly in their neighborhood (which is tightly geographically limited, and thus difficult to find inventory that matches). There is an open house for them tomorrow, so I'm sure that if they are planning to make an offer on it, they're waiting to rule out the other house before they commit. The other one is even closer to their target address, so maybe. The first house, from this morning, has been on the market for six weeks, so that gives us breathing room for when to choose. I may take Mr S-P back to this house in a day or two, to show him the engineering decisions on how they made a slide-out ladder to access a tiny finished attic that would be big enough to house a small reading room. It might be a style he can use at his mountain shed if he builds a loft in it.

No sooner had I come home and kicked off my shoes, did my phone buzz, and I had a message from someone needing an emergency ride. I performed my angel of mercy mission, and as I was driving away, the gigantic, earth-shattering news hit the radio annoucing that the game had changed. The Mueller probe dropped a baker's dozen of indictments that, while holding no chance to reaching prosecution, establish the underlying crime and disproving the claim of a "hoax." I would have loved to stay home and gorge on news, but I had very little free time to pay attention as analysts picked apart the stitching of this charge document. Once I have time to dig deeper, I know I will be even more fascinated than I am already.

It seems apropos that the reason I couldn't feast on the initial reports was because I was called to a quickly arranged coffee meeting with a political party organizer who is pushing me to get trained so I can help man the caucus that will be held blocks from my house, covering only a few precincts, including my own. Our marquee matchup for caucus this year is the gubernatorial race, and I only recognize two or three of the names on that list. I need to do my research in the next two weeks, in addition to precinct leader training, so I know who to cast my own caucus votes for. I'm not sure I have a clue who else is running, for state or local level seats.

I was already tired and sore when I started baking a chocolate cake. I found a promising-looking recipe on Pinterest that used a store-bought gluten-free flour, and I followed it in a general way, only diverging in a few places to make it my own style. I was asked to make it dairy-free as well, but I failed there. The best I could muster was to use lactose-free milk, with apple cider vinegar to make it like buttermilk. I skipped most of the milk or butter based frostings, in favor of powdered sugar and fruit. I ended up making it red, white, and blue for that. Seemed appropriate on a Felony Friday in which Russian cyberwarfare was charged.

We played games until midnight. My favorite, Quiplash on Jackbox TV, was first. It was hilarious, as it always is. Then, about the time my heavy duty muscle relaxer kicked in, the kids pulled out an incredibly complicated D&D spoofed card game called Munchkin, that just couldn't pique my interest. We ended with another card game, this one based on Know Your Meme, that was more like Cards Against Humanity than anything. Just like CAH, I lost horribly. Still, just playing this one was more fun than winning. The whole day was like that. Just living through it was winning.







No comments:

Post a Comment