Saturday, February 3, 2018

Out and Back Again

Inspirational song: She's Tight (Cheap Trick)

Here's an idea. Next time we decide we are going to walk to the vet's office to pick up a prescription for one of our quadrupeds, maybe we should check the hours of operation before we set out. That, or we take the car as far as the animal hospital and then go find a lovely park to walk around after. Instead, we piddled around at the house, not leaving for our walk until about quarter to one. By the time we reached the vet clinic, the parking lot was empty and the lights were off. I feel bad about that. We finally got it sorted out that Bump will be on prednisone instead of the fancy compounded bladder cancer drug (that we already paid for), but we missed the pickup. Now he has to wait until Monday.

I couldn't have walked any faster than I did, unfortunately. I thought once I'd been going five minutes or so my muscles would loosen up, but instead they just got tighter. The farther we walked the more it felt like really thick elastic was swaddling me from the hips down, and walking against it was more and more of an effort. I took a muscle relaxer upon arriving home, but other than making me feel a little goofy after half an hour in the hot tub, it didn't have a lasting effect. The distance walked was probably no more than 2.5 miles. It took a solid hour to make the loop, not counting the little stop at a park south of here, so I could sit a minute and make the dizziness go away.

We passed a local landmark on our walk, what was some guy's shop until he suddenly died like 30 years ago. His place was left completely intact, and if I understand it correctly, his widow still lives in the adjoining property and has no intention of clearing out the old space. The town is split on opinions about the place. Lots of new arrivals to town think it should be torn down, and something new and modern built in its place. Long-time residents are horrified at the thought and they wax poetic about their childhood memories of the shop and the owner, and they are offended that johnny-come-latelies want to tear down local history. Looking at it today, it looks like the choice is eventually going to be taken out of everyone's hands. The garage is in the process of falling down. I doubt the original shop is faring a whole lot better.

The park where we stopped is in a cool spot. There's nerdy art all over the electricity transformer box across the street, and there's a logic puzzle at one corner of the park. Ever since we moved here, I have wished that one of the houses that face it had been up for sale when we were looking. Even if they had been at the very tippy-top of our budget, they would have been worth it for the location. But then I remember how glad I am that we have our neighbor, and I'm suddenly okay with the house I have again.







No comments:

Post a Comment