Sunday, February 4, 2018

What a Game

Inspirational song: Fly Like an Eagle (Steve Miller Band)

That was easily the most fun I've had watching football all season, and that even factors in the homecoming game with my old bandmates when CU had an epic conference win. It wasn't that any of us were particularly Eagles fans, although I did have a decent fantasy football season years ago when Nick Foles was my quarterback, but for an evening, everyone in the living room next door cheered them on--even the one guy who really hated football and was annoyed every time the clock stopped in the fourth quarter. Sure, back in 2002, we thought it was awesome when the Patriots won the championship, with everyone gripped by nationalistic pride after the terrorist attacks. But after a while, it really got old, watching Tom Brady win like he had sold his soul for some magic deflated balls. Nobody likes a showoff, and we were ready for him to taste defeat in the marquee matchup. (Actually, we all would have preferred other teams to have been there in his place, but that's neither here nor there now.) We hooted and hollered. We high fived. We startled Barley the dog many times. And when it was all over and we were giggling over memes on Twitter and videos of a naked person running through the streets of Philly with an eagle head concealing his or her identity (seriously, just saw this person from the back, and we have no idea what sort of plumbing this person sported), then we turned off the TV and went back to our other game.

I didn't want to get up early today, but I had to. I volunteered to bring coleslaw, macaroni and cheese (gluten free, obvs), and queso. I also had a yellow cake mix I wanted to try. All of this had to be mostly ready to go before we went next door, before noon. We were throwing in an extra campaign day for our Wednesday night D&D group, because we never have much time to do anything before the brewery where we meet shuts down. I've only been a member of this group for the last three weeks, so I was glad to get extra time to figure out how I fit into the party, and how my character behaves. Unfortunately for everyone else, it appears that this character is just as prone to impulsivity as the cleric in the Thursday group, but where Brn is a dwarf of action, Gunda is a gnome with a big mouth and not enough sense to know when to shut it. I think I've just about got her fleshed out. If I do a little more reading between now and Wednesday, she may be fully cooked.

For all that I was careful to get only gluten free foods to take next door, I still was working around a grain-heavy household. Neighbor brews beer every weekend, so it was sloshing around liberally all day. He's a single guy with no need to be careful with bread crumbs, so the dishes and silverware were all suspect (everyone knows crumbs drip into silverware drawers--I'm not telling tales out of school). He even baked beer bread, doubling down on the things I couldn't get near. Somewhere during the course of the day, the cross-contamination got me. Even before the football game ended, I started feeling bad. By the time I got home and threw my serving and mixing bowls into the dishwasher, my stomach was so bloated it felt like the muscles were ripping off the front of my ribs. It's time for a peppermint capsule and bed. I have to hope there are no lingering effects tomorrow. I have an annual real estate updates class in the morning. It would be a very inconvenient time to be sick as a dog.



No comments:

Post a Comment