Saturday, February 24, 2018

In the Right Place

Inspirational song: I've Seen That Movie Too (Elton John)

The very best good thing that happened today? I got to call and cancel tomorrow's appointment. Unless something dramatic happens, I can stay at home all day, and catch up on the things I have been putting off in favor of all the running around I've had to do. This week has been unpleasantly hectic, and I can't wait to get started on sleeping late and doing nothing, until at least noon.

I got to be a showing agent this week, meaning it was my job to coordinate with my boss' latest client, to take her around to properties, since she wanted to live closer to me than to him. It was mostly an opportunity based on proximity. We all honestly thought this would take up to a month to accomplish. Yet today, after six days of serious looking, she's ready to write an offer. I don't have to do any of that part. My job is done. All I had to do was make and cancel about half a dozen appointments, and send constant emails and texts for a week. And today, when we walked into the first of four we intended to have her view this weekend, she was home. We stood in that vacant property for an extra fifteen minutes, just chatting. That's always a big neon sign that someone is in the right property, when they don't want to leave it. I know she's in good hands, that my mentor and managing broker is writing the offer. He'll give her the best chance of securing this house, and I am confident she'll get it. The house really was lovely. I didn't want to leave it either.

Two years ago at the caucus for presidential candidates, our precinct nearly broke out in active combat. We were an "orphan" precinct, and I naively put my hand up and volunteered to run the meeting. It was pandemonium. Emotions ran high, and the room was packed with incredibly passionate supporters of each of the leading candidates. We only had two delegates to send to the county assembly, and our vote was about 65% - 35%. (These are rough guesses.) Neither I nor the secretary had any clue how to do the math according to the caucus rules to know how to apportion the delegates. We tried to guess, when we couldn't find it in the packet we were given, and that's when the room nearly erupted into open warfare. Eventually someone made a phone call, and we got it sorted out, discovering that it actually was a split, one to each of the candidates. This year, while I am still at the end of my two-year term as precinct leader (I had no idea I was signing up for a multi-year commitment at the time), I made a point of attending training on how to run a caucus. I also have a co-precinct leader volunteer who has just fallen out of the sky to help out. She and I met for the first time today, and went into the training together. I'm nervous that the people who show up to caucus will remember what a nightmare it was last time and hold that against me, but at least now I know what I'm doing, so I can handle what they throw at me. It's a toss up whether I'll be serving another term as precinct leader, though. Either no one will want to volunteer, like last time, or they'll want my head on a platter for being uneducated two years ago. As it stands, very few people have preregistered, and the marquee matchup is for governor, so it might end up a very sedate affair. Wouldn't that be nice?

We closed out the night playing games and watching bad movies. The games were two rounds of Quiplash (my favorite), and the movie was something I had never heard of from 1953 called The Mesa of Lost Women. I have absolutely no idea what happened in this movie. We heckled the entire thing. I think I managed to hear one complete sentence of dialogue, and not one word more. I swear to you, the visuals made no sense whatsoever. I think next bad movie night, I'm going to bring one of my movies, so that it's at least something I can follow along with. I almost had them talked into the 1980 Flash Gordon, the one with the Queen soundtrack. I'll keep campaigning for it.


No comments:

Post a Comment