Wednesday, January 1, 2014

A Good Start

Inspirational song: Don't Worry, Be Happy (Bobby McFerrin)

Yesterday, I explained my big, silly, but tightly held superstition that my New Year's Eve sets the tone for the whole next year. I really do believe it is true, and after the last 24 hours, I want more than anything for it to hold for one more year. Not only did I have a whole lot of fun at last night's party, I have carried in my heart the most peaceful, joyous optimism that I have experienced in ages. I'm not sure whether there is one reason for all my hopefulness, or it's a stack of things. My heart is light, and I find myself smiling and singing and in a very happy place.

Last night really was wonderful. My friends seemed to feel it too. I wasn't the only one laughing and being lighthearted around the bonfire last night. There were some new faces there, and lots of old friends. Maybe it was a factor of the bottle of Asti that never left my hand, but if there was conflict, I was blissfully unaware. At the appropriate time, we all ran back inside, so we were packed in one room, watching the ball drop on television. With thirty seconds to go, my man called me, so we spent my favorite holiday together. I had plenty of friends with whom I could hug and kiss and exchange I-love-yous. What could have been a most depressing moment was instead uplifting and celebratory.

I was a little worried about my animals while I was gone. I had forgotten that fireworks are totally legal in this state, until a few days ago, when all the stands started showing up along the roads and in the discount store parking lots. While I was doing my hair and makeup for last night, my neighbors were signalling the mother ship from the street in front of my house. The animals are still a little needy and clingy today. As I drove to the party last night, I had trouble discerning whether the haze that covered most of my route was fog, smoke from other people having bonfires too, or that much smoke from fireworks swirling through the cold air. The night was never silent, not for a moment. Of the possibilities, I think the fireworks were the culprit. My hostess contributed to the noisy night herself, tossing a brick of old black cat fireworks into the bonfire. I amazed myself for staying close enough to take pictures. Maybe I'm getting braver for the next year too.

My emotional buoyancy has carried me through the entire day today. I reveled in the Rose Parade this morning like the flower child I am. I ate my traditional black eyed peas, ham, and cabbage (in lieu of collards, which I don't know how to cook well), as if it were the fanciest gourmet meal of all. I watched the Dream Home special, and was greatly amused when one of the designers gushed over a bright orange leather sample for his couch, calling it "modern mountain." It is almost an exact match to the orange vinyl my grandmother used to recover the antique recliner in her own mountain cabin, the one I now have in my piano room. I have resisted recovering it, because I find that orange so adorable and cheerful. Now I have a justification to keep it.

2014 is off to a good start. I want to protect this little seedling of hope and joy, and grow it all year long. I promise to share with anyone who wants some.

No comments:

Post a Comment