Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Icing

Inspirational song: Supersoaker (Kings of Leon)

The ice is coming down now. I have been opening the back door and checking for it, in vain, for about 12 hours. I thought that the wet surfaces were starting to freeze while there was still daylight, but I wasn't inspired enough to go touch the grill cover or top of the patio table. I was proud of myself for making it outside to retrieve another eight hunks of wood, and then I was done with walking in the cool drizzle. The dogs are suggesting they need another walk in the Park, but I suspect once the professional eater makes it to the edge of the deck, she's going to change her mind about that.

I have been hunkered down, waiting for the storm all day. I probably should have run a couple errands before the roads started to freeze, but I just didn't want to be around local drivers who have never experienced cold weather driving before. Cities down here don't own a whole lot of snowplows, because they don't need them. Most of the drivers have never had to practice driving on snow and ice. I'm years removed from daily driving on snowpack, and I don't trust myself to be the best defensive driver against the crazies. So all my optional errands had to wait.

I'm on hold while I wait to see how much ice we get tonight. I have a lot of trees to care for, and this could end up being a very busy week, if I have to spend it cleaning up downed branches. For now, I'm going to listen to the talking heads on television picking apart tonight's speech, keep my fire going as a hedge against a power outage, and try to decide whether to make another hot cocoa from scratch. The first one was excellent. At the end of a pre-snow day, it was icing on the cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment