Sunday, January 12, 2014

Prix Fixe

Inspirational song: Locomotive Breath (Jethro Tull)

I've bragged about living so close to one of the top tourist destinations in the country before. It is never so wonderful as during restaurant week. This is a great place to live if you are more interested in the quality of what you put in your body over the quantity. The top restaurants in town assemble prix fixe menus, of two, three, or four spectacular courses. Last year, I was part of a quartet of Bonfire friends at Husk, which deserves its recent ranking as the best new restaurant in the entire country. I believe the way I described it, particularly the main course, was like having great group sex in public. Tonight, we went to another restaurant run by the same head chef. It was out of this world. From a complex, powerful cocktail to open my meal, through three perfectly prepared courses, to coffee and sweets to end our night, it was another amazing, memorable meal. 

The restaurant was built as a tavern in the late colonial period. It was a gorgeous, two storey brick structure that played host to George Washington when he toured the country back in 1791, and the upstairs had an elegant assembly room with several homages to the man. I wish I had taken my camera with me up there. I don't know how I'm going to manage it, but I want to find an excuse to rent out that assembly room for an event.

Even the location of this place was picturesque and charming. The entrance was down a tiny cobblestone alley. It felt like its own special world, removed from the rest of the modern life we left when we parked. We might as well have tapped out a spell to access Diagon Alley, for all that it was otherworldly and magical. I'm going to keep an eye on my fireplace. Surely the flue network can get me back to that restaurant. Nothing so mundane as a telephone reservation will do.

No comments:

Post a Comment