Monday, January 6, 2014

Squeaky Clean

Inspirational song: Flash of Fire (Hoyt Axton)

Today was certainly a flurry of activity. The owner of the cleaning service and her employee were here for hours today. My friend and I had worked hard on Friday, I swear we did. We spent hours decluttering, organizing, repairing, replacing. But still the service today was hard at work, and I cannot believe how much dust, how much pet hair, they pulled out of the corners. This house is CLEAN. I feel it in my lungs. The difference is in how much dust and hair I am no longer breathing at all moments of the day. I hope it lasts at least until the man gets here. The little red-headed dog has been super needy since he was allowed back in the house, and even though I only gently patted his side, his undercoat is trying to blow out and refill all the corners of the house. That's just what I need.

The animals were entirely freaked out with the two strange ladies who made strange noises all afternoon. They were still goofy and skittish this evening. The cats have been more talkative than I've ever seen. The kitten kept coming up and sitting on my lap and telling me in long cat sentences how alarmed she was. Even the big sissy boy sang the song of his people, letting me know that he did not approve of strangers and their demonic vacuum cleaners. I thought things had calmed down this evening, when I tried to catch a picture of the kitten. I made a little kissy noise to get her attention, and out of nowhere, a spastic boy launched himself at me, meowed, and ran away again. I had just enough presence of mind to snap a picture.

I chatted with my mother while the crew was here. She reminisced fondly of the days when she was in her thirties, and had endless energy to deep clean her house like this every Saturday. I remember those days well. I can picture it so clearly: the sun streaming in the front windows, Hoyt Axton's Fearless album blasting on the turntable, my mother singing along and vacuuming the big white shag rug, with the huge brown interlocking circles (oh, the 1970s, bless them). Even when she put the pre-teen me to work, I still loved those days.

No comments:

Post a Comment