Sunday, January 5, 2014

The Longest Days

Inspirational song: Lonesome Town (Ricky Nelson)

I had another day of not knowing what to do with myself. The wait is killing me. Just a few more days, and the man should be here. But until then, I can't sit still, and I can't focus on any one activity. (Writing is included in the list of activities that are difficult.)  I want time to fly by, but today I have lived at least six days since dawn. Will the rest of the week be this bad?

The animals feel it too. They are wound up as tightly as I am. They have forgotten all their manners. I woke this morning being totally short-sheeted. I have been followed through every moment of the day, stared at, talked to, and walked on. They've stopped even letting me pretend that my food is mine first. The little one is actively trying to undo all the cleaning I've done in the last week. And I definitely had to pull thread from a craft project out of the dog's throat. I recall my children being needy to this extreme only at the times I was least capable of giving them attention, like during two-day long migraines, so I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that the herd is acting out as well. But I will happily ridicule them in pictures, as I did this afternoon, turning one of them into a meme. No idea whether it will run wild in the interwebs. It will be fun to find out.

I think I have lost my best opportunity to get much done outside. I swept leaves off the deck, three bags full, but I came inside early to watch basketball. Tomorrow the big chill arrives, and I will not be interested in going out much. I am sure to lose the few random flowers that have popped up in the last several weeks. I enjoyed having those few stragglers, providing unexpected color here and there, but all good things must come to an end, and my growing season has lasted far longer than it should. I can let them go for another couple months. If I am lucky, this cold snap tomorrow will take out the nest of little yellow jackets I woke up trying to pull the solar lights off the deck umbrella. If nothing else, maybe they will go back to sleep, for the rest of the winter. I wish I could do that too.

No comments:

Post a Comment