Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Buzzed

Inspirational song: Long Time Gone (Dixie Chicks)

I'm finding it nearly impossible to slow down long enough to write tonight. I've been feeling super awake all day, like I was yesterday as I raved about how my senses were reviving, and how I am getting in touch with the person who was dulled for years from bad nutrition. But today I had a little help from some of the old, bad poisons, to throw me into hyperdrive. For the first time in a long time, our ladies' lunch was not canceled due to freezing precipitation (although right on cue, a cold front did come through with a huge dip in temperatures and non-stop rain today). After two months of feeling cut off from that circle, I had a great meal with people I have missed terribly. And then a few of us crossed the parking lot to run errands at Target, and somehow I thought it would be brilliant to carry twenty ounces of syrup-soaked espresso with me through the store. That got all my gears spinning, but it was this evening's entertainment that kicked on the afterburners. We missed a lot of bunco due to winter storms, and this was the first time we've been able to do it in a while. My guard was down, because again, I was more focused on catching up with my friends, and I stopped paying attention to how often my hand dipped in every candy bowl on every table, as we rolled the dice and traveled between rounds. I don't think I have any active memories of being on a sugar high, even back in childhood. I've had such a steady stream of sugar, an uninterrupted supply for decades, and I thought I had lost my ability to get an obvious energy burst from it. But sure as anything, here I am feeling like I'm a runaway train, wanting to talk fast and play on three different electronic devices at once, while watching television and playing with the pets, and shifting in my seat, and failing to write coherently...

It's kind of encouraging to learn that I could become sensitive to sugar in this way again, while at the same time very irritating to need to sit still and focus long enough to write. Maybe I should grab a pen and paper, and switch gears to completing the design I've been struggling with for days. My secret project needs attention, and I've had a few breakthroughs in the last 24-48 hours. Now I must carve time out of my resurgent social calendar to work on it. A tiny hint is visible in the picture of the spoils of today's shopping expedition, if you know what you're looking for. And with that, I'm back to other things, while I try to burn off a little of this excess energy. If I'm lucky, I'll get to sleep before dawn.

No comments:

Post a Comment