Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Just Peachy

Inspirational song: Peaches (Presidents of the United States of America)

In our house in New Mexico, the man planted what he hoped would become a lovely orchard. He put in four peach trees, of two varieties, two cherry trees, one additional apple tree (there was a mature one), an Italian plum tree, and two pecan trees (my idea). Most of the trees were just babies, able to produce only a few pieces of fruit, and we knew that we wouldn't be living there long enough to see them fully come into their own. That has never stopped the man. He is a twenty-first century Johnny Appleseed. He has a habit of planting trees and perennials even at houses we were only renting, never knowing for certain whether future residents would enjoy them as much as we had. The first winter in New Mexico ran a little long, and there was a late blizzard during spring break, after the trees had all flowered out. It killed off the blossoms, and we had little, if any, fruit in the orchard that summer. We moved three years ago, and rented out that house. In the years since, New Mexico suffered exceptional drought for most of that time, only relieved to mid-range drought levels since last fall. I don't know how well our tenants cared for those trees. I am afraid they did not protect them with quite the dedication that the man would have shown. I'd like to try again to sell that house this summer, so maybe I will have a chance to get a look at the yard, if I have to go prepare it for sale.

When I arrived home Monday after lunch with my mah jongg master, I happened to glance over my fence from the driveway, and saw that my stronger peach tree had completely flowered. By that point I knew that today's ice storm was imminent, and it filled me with a sense of deja vu. I rushed out to take pictures, knowing it might be the only time I had before the blossoms froze to death. This morning, I went out in the rain, as it was a slushy 33 degrees, and checked out the peach blossoms. They had not yet shriveled up at that point. It has stayed just barely above freezing all day, with the freeze line hovering 10 to 20 miles north and west of me. I don't know whether I will get peaches this year or not. Close to the ground, the water was trying to freeze, but the ice was fragile and soft. Higher up, the branches were glossy and white all day long. It's dark now, but the weather has held in exactly the same place. I may know by morning whether I have damage. I've heard a few things strike the roof, but it all sounded small and insignificant so far.

It's interesting to me that we have had two newsworthy storms hit the South in less than a month. Last winter didn't get really cold until February also, and I never expected that when I moved someplace so warm. Last year I pulled my container pots inside on those few nights it got down to freezing, but this year a couple naughty kitties have made that a less appealing solution. I ended up missing my window of opportunity to save certain plants. I guess this is going to be an expensive March and April. I just have to practice restraint, so I don't find myself overwhelmed again come July, like I was last year. I'm not terribly good at resisting temptation when faced with bedding plants. Plant nurseries are forbidden fruit, and I'm always first in line to take a bite.

No comments:

Post a Comment