Sunday, February 16, 2014

Charmed

Inspirational song: Ain't We Got Fun? (v. Doris Day and Gordon MacRae)

It doesn't take long before something happens to slap me out of my self-pitying funk. I was cranky and childish yesterday, and I have since gotten over myself. I have been reminded, from multiple sources over the last day or two, that I really do seem to live a charmed life, and I absolutely must not complain. I had a long phone conversation that made me aware of how physically and mentally healthy are the people closest to me. I watched the news tonight, as I was verifying the singers of tonight's song, and heard that it was determined a homeless man found dead in a house upstate died of hypothermia during the storm. And when I emailed the man to see how his day was going, he gave me a report of tragic goings-on overseas that won't appear on my local news station. However, the way he shared the news left me not only feeling guilty for the little bubble of happiness where I live, but also angry at the brutal side of human nature that allows people to behave this way. I won't go into details, but I will say that violence and duplicity do not leave me inclined to feel sympathy to anyone's side of an argument.

I got out and did the shopping that I was too moody to accomplish yesterday. I have a secret plan that I was trying to decide whether to begin, and I needed some inspiration to tell me how much energy and enthusiasm I have for it. I had to shop around quite a bit to find what I was looking for, but eventually I did. I think it's a go. I won't tell what it is yet. I kind of want to wait to reveal it as a fait accompli. I will say that if I pull it off, I will have a great sense of accomplishment. My only hint, which is also the part that makes me most nervous: it will involve power tools.

I shopped at my usual haunt, about 10 miles from the house. Driving up there verified what I had postulated about how close the freeze line was to my Park. I was just over halfway there, when I started noticing a huge increase in broken branches and split trees littering the side of the road. I was absolutely right, I got incredibly lucky with this storm. I only had a few tiny branches fall, and the ground out back is super spongy. I need to take advantage of the lovely warm weather due this week, and go ahead and prune back all the roses (significantly) and get things ready for spring growth. I'll be splitting time between that and cleaning and organizing piles of internal debris that have stuck around for too long. The Pride will want to participate in the outside cleanup as much as they have the inside work. You can't put a storage basket down around here without a cat in it, and all stacked textiles must have fresh cat hair on them. It's the law.

No comments:

Post a Comment