Wednesday, February 5, 2014

They Just Don't Care

Inspirational song: Respect (Aretha Franklin)

I have to remind myself my mother reads this blog. And even though she knows well how earthy and profane my speech usually is and she loves me anyway, she gets very uncomfortable when I swear in print. So I try not to. It's more difficult than usual today. It's one of those days when I find it impossible to find the silver lining, no matter how committed I am to being forgiving and positive. I did another walkaround, to see just how badly the plants up next to the house were damaged. These guys really didn't give a monkey's toss how my landscaping fared in all of this. It is starting to feel intentional.

There were damaged pieces of siding, both holes punched into it from the fascia repair crew and a missing section from the roofers. They came by while I was gone yesterday and replaced the damaged boards with exact matches, which I do appreciate. But in the process, they smashed my rhododendron even worse. I think there are now three surviving spires on the whole thing. Today I got a better view of the horrible things they did to the tree between my kitchen and dining room windows. That should have been illegal. I don't know whether they hurt it flinging shingles down, or just hacked at it wildly when they replaced the shingles over the bay window. I am stunned at how bad it looks. And today, I found an old fascia board buried in the canna lily garden that I hadn't seen before. It's one of the old ones, just dumped on top of the cannas and roses, and left behind.

I'm pretty sure the winter weather is nearly over for us. Last February was the coldest part of the winter, so I am going to wait another two weeks or so before I do any planting. But I think it is time for me to re-establish some habits, and go out there and clear out all the dead stems, and start preparing the spaces. It will definitely give me more material to photograph and write about. Just as soon as I am able to give a damn again. Right now I'm still in shock.

No comments:

Post a Comment