Sunday, February 2, 2014

Groundhog Day

Inspirational song: I Got You, Babe (Sonny and Cher)

I woke up this morning exactly the way I did yesterday, having slept late thanks to the meds they gave me last year for this tummy trouble, to the sound of the roofing crew banging around on the outside of my house. Lucky for me, there wasn't also the sound of pouring rain, so the workers actually finished the job today. They were as brutal to all my plants as they and the other crew had been on all the other days, and I just stopped letting it get to me. It is almost spring, and this means I have a lot of blog posts I can do as I repair and reshape and replace all around the house. I still can't decide what it is that is missing up front. I know two containers were moved, but I swear something else should be there and isn't. I almost lost my mind when I found my CU flag in the trash, the pole snapped in two. I thought the workers had tossed it without a word, and I was sure that was the last straw. Turns out, all they had done was snap the pole as the fascia boards had come down, and my man was the one to throw it in the trash and not tell me. So I'm still annoyed, but not on the warpath.

The good news is, the house looks beautiful, now that the new roof is on. The shingles are a deeper black, and it contrasts well with the pale yellow siding. Now I am eagerly awaiting the time of year when it makes sense to powerwash away all the green. I should be able to reach most of the house, what with all the plants either broken back or soon to be pruned heavily.

As you might expect, this evening did not go as I had hoped. I started watching the Broncos back in the 80s, when I first went to college in Colorado. I can remember being at a Super Bowl party as a teenager, watching them lose horribly and being so surprised. This was just like those awful 1980s games, or worse. I couldn't even stay until the end at my neighbor's house. I felt awful, and the game was no distraction from it. Not even the commercials were enough to keep me interested. At least the halftime show was spectacular. Bruno did not let us down.

I survived the weekend, without having to get myself to an ER. I will consider that a victory. But I can't lie to myself. I have to put in a call to the doc first thing in the morning. Too much of this is exactly like last year, and I have no intention of repeating that nonsense.

No comments:

Post a Comment