Saturday, February 15, 2014

Oh, Mama

Inspirational song: Mommy Says No (Asylum Street Spankers)

There are days when it becomes very difficult to be an adult, and stick with commitments I have made, even those I only made with myself. I wanted to get out and do a little shopping, a little bit of price comparison. But I had to wait for my lunch to finish baking, two hours for a sweet potato to be properly caramelized in the oven. By the time I had finished eating, every bit of wind was out of my sails. Not only did I no longer want to drive or shop, I found myself descending into moodiness. I was impatient with the dogs. I answered a silly-face selfie text from my daughter with a frowny face of my own. I can't explain my sudden bad mood. I hope it goes away as quickly as it arrived. I'd rather not walk around in a cloud of negativity as visible as the dust that follows PigPen in Peanuts.

I have been watching the Cupcake Kittens livestream since they were five or six days old. I'm absolutely addicted to this litter of kittens. It's the only safe way I can get a kitten fix anymore, since Athena proves I'm not to be trusted as a foster parent, as it seems I get a little too attached. I decided today I would go into the archives, and watch the video of their birth. I have never watched a cat labor and delivery before. It was far more stressful than I imagined. I found myself cringing in sympathy, and stressing even though I know all six kittens came out just fine (although my favorite kitten Praline was a difficult transverse birth, poor mama!). Watching this, I can't imagine how cats manage to reproduce in the wild, in nests that are dirty or exposed to the elements. And the sounds the mama cat made wrenched my heart. I don't think I knew that "OW" was a universal exclamation of pain. She said it, plain as day, and there was no mistaking what she meant. I couldn't watch the whole thing. I had to switch back to the live feed, before the last kitten came along. It was just too much.

It has been a couple days since the slushy ice decorated my yard. I figured it was safe to make the call whether my early-blossoming peach tree would bear fruit this year. It appears that the blossoms have survived. But now the question is: can the bees find the tree? We are supposed to have a huge warm up this week. Are any bees out there? Will they make the rounds? I would like another shot at growing peaches. I will have to be more vigilant about keeping the thieves away though. The dogs and I will have to be much bigger bullies when the squirrels and birds and bugs come a-calling.

No comments:

Post a Comment