Saturday, February 14, 2015

Good Trade

Inspirational song: The One I Love (R.E.M.)

It's getting down to the wire now. The only things I have left to do are to pack an overnight bag with comfort items (like electronics chargers) and to refrain from eating from now until late next week. Monday morning can't come soon enough. Now it's just a footrace to see what wins, the scheduled surgery or the cramps in my belly that keep taking me by surprise all day and night. My money is on the schedule, but I can't count the other out.

As I mentioned yesterday, I arranged a Valentine dinner with some of my loved ones, and it went off almost exactly as I imagined it would. The Bonfire leader and I bartered a little, an exchange of goods and services between friends, and we shared a lovely dinner. My hair had gotten so long that it kept getting caught under my arms as I rolled over in bed, and it was making me a bit cranky. She has been working on creating colorful dreads in her hair, half her natural color and half brightly dyed wool, and she has been accenting them with fat glass beads. I made good trade, beads for a haircut (just enough so that I don't feel like it's in the way while I'm laid up in bed, but not enough to justify a trip to a salon). I had purchased a couple packs of beads to fill up the charm bracelet I got for Christmas, so that it doesn't feel so empty while I wait to acquire the name-brand charms that go with it, and I had bunches left over. Probably not enough to buy the island of Manhattan back in the day, but enough for two inches of crunchy dead ends off my hair. We even threw the hair out in her garden for the birds to use, if they are so inclined. I feel like such a hippie today (but then, I do most days too).

The countdown has begun. Come on, already. Let's light this candle.


No comments:

Post a Comment