Sunday, February 22, 2015

The Way It's Done

Inspirational song: Crazy (Gnarls Barkley)

Fifteen minutes ago, I though I was done for the night. I sat in a chair for over two hours, watching the Oscars, up to the In Memorium reel, until my rear end went numb from sitting on vintage cushions (that stopped being soft in the 80s), and the man shut off his computer and decided he was ready for bed. If I wanted help back into my sick bed, I had to go right then. It wasn't until I was halfway up the stairs that I remembered I hadn't blogged, and now it's a race to see what happens first, I publish, or the two percocets take the option out of my hands. I will save some of today's material for tomorrow, and just hit the highlights.

I had a very good day of recovery today. A few moments of intense pain (I am 99% certain there is a nerve or a tendon or something down by my appendix that is twisted in a knot, because it pegs out the pain scale randomly once or twice every day since surgery, for no discernible reason), but most of the time I had more energy and stamina than the last five days combined. I had my first shower in a week, and it was glorious. I only put a half-assed effort into brushing my hair after, but baby steps are appropriate right now. I thought I was going to have to shower with a sports bra on, so I had someplace to pin the bulb at the end of the drain that is still sutured to my side. But then I remembered I had a huge collection of Mardi Gras type beads from CU games, and I had my clever waterproof solution. I walked around upstairs several times, took pictures out of the windows to add to my "boy and his ladder" photo album, of the man power washing the house, and I felt almost human again. But all that came at a price, and I find I am physically exhausted just from sitting up. The effort to make it as far into the Oscars as I did may end up biting me tomorrow. My sit muscles hurt now.

I have had surgery five times since 2008. I've had friends say "tell me if you need anything," but that is very vague and I have been reluctant to ask for anything specific. Usually all I ask for is company while I recover, and I almost never get it. The mah jongg master showed me what it's like to have someone more proactive in their wishes of love and help. She and her husband were the only ones who came to see me when I was hospitalized for four days, two years ago, for the beginning of this crazy ride, and today, she became the first person ever to bring me (and the man) a meal so we could focus on healing, not cooking. When she offered, I was so moved I almost cried, and even now I get that flushed sensation in my eyes and nose, like I am on the verge of doing just that. I have a million reasons to love her forever, and after a thoughtful dish of meat sauce over zucchini cut like fettuccine, I have a million and one.

Percocet says it's time for lights out. More tomorrow. Don't tell me who won best picture. I have it recording now.

No comments:

Post a Comment