Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Scenes from the Other Side of the Hall

Inspirational song: Institutionalized (Suicidal Tendencies)

All I wanted was a cat picture, and she wouldn't give it to me! She said, no, mom, you're on drugs!

I'm making progress today. I'm significantly more mobile than I have been in days, although that mobility is entirely dependent on the cooperation of other people. I have to ring a bell and wait for the person who answers to pass along my request to be released from bed before I get to perform basic human functions, but it is still progress. They now let me empty my own bladder, and they encourage me to get out of bed every few hours, assuming I wait for them to turn off the alarm first. (I learned from a tech today that having all four of the small bed rails raised counts as being "restrained" in their book, so the tech lowered one of them on purpose.) I even walked halfway down the hall and back once. No, to be accurate, I "shambled."

All this activity has come with a price. I let myself extend my pain medication schedule too far, and I lost control over the pain. This evening I was quivering and cramping, and I had trouble sorting out my needs. I am planning on turning out the lights early and snuggling in the arms of dear Morpheus. The night nurse and I worked out a new plan on getting me ramped back up to control the recovery and make me comfortable again. I am handing her the reins. Maybe tomorrow we can think about having a first cup of broth or something. Maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment