Sunday, April 5, 2015

Can't Do It Justice

Inspirational song: Always Something There to Remind Me (Naked Eyes)

I love taking pictures of my Park to share. The flowers are so beautiful, the animals so much fun. I even love showing off the flaws, like my unmowable swamp or rodent-raided vegetable garden. But today was impossible to capture with a cell phone camera. The same camera that can't reproduce vivid pinks properly could never fully convey the most spectacular elements of this beautiful spring day: the light and the air. It was one of those days when you could literally see the vibrations of green traveling through the air, through your eyes, straight into your soul. Everything is opening, green leaves sprouting from little purple buds on every cane and trunk around. The ground is still mostly covered in clover, but just enough true grass has started to come up to make a solid carpet of green. It's something that you have to stand in to understand. I could never show you a picture, and have it truly reproduce the moment of spring that is happening right now. I wish you could walk through here and see it with your own naked eyes. This is why I love this place.

My daughter asked me how I was celebrating "national tip over a Rabbit" day. I really don't have to try too hard to tip her over. My little white Easter bunny spends most of her time flopped over on one side already. It's more surprising to see her limping around the house these days, instead of sleeping on my pillow. But the lazy girl did get right in the middle of packing, while we tried to de-clutter our closet ahead of the first meeting with a realtor. It's not easy on her, I'm sure, watching all the boxes come out again. She has moved with us three times now. I hope this next time is the last, or close to it. I'm getting tired of having to do this every few years. Unfortunately, where we're going, the housing market is too hot for me to believe we are going to score our dream house. We will be lucky to find one big enough to store most of our stuff. Thrift shop donation desks are going to be our favorite hangouts for the next year, while we pare down. All those times we moved and said we would sort through our belongings, and never did, have come back to haunt us now. Today the man carried out a box from the office closet labeled "2011 Dad's Books," unopened for four years. Maybe he can build his cabin on his mountain property out of crap we left in boxes for the last twenty years, just like the people who build with used wine bottles or aluminum cans.

We closed out the day over a fire, as we often do. Another day behind us. That many fewer days left to enjoy my Park. I hope the new Park West is at least half as wonderful as this one, or has the potential to become so. At least I will get to show its development to you from the start next time. I hope we do the new place justice, like I am confident we have done here. We cultivated where it needed to be tightly kept, and left the wild places wild. May the next park rangers do the same.


No comments:

Post a Comment