Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Home for the Last Time

Inspirational song: Carolina in My Mind (James Taylor)

I got a little nostalgic, flying back "home" for the last time. I very nearly teared up as I rested my forehead against the window on the plane, flying over the verdant, swampy ground, coming lower and lower, and wondering whether we would take the route that flies directly over my Park. I don't think I have ever seen it, but I know I've seen planes go over from the ground. I have loved living here more than anywhere else, with the possible exception of North Carolina, many years ago. I felt like I belonged, which is unusual for someone who moves as often as I do. In my whole life, the longest I ever lived in one house was six years, in one city ten years. So living in the Low Country for four years really ranks highly in places that felt like home. My time here is almost to an end, and that makes me miss it already, weeks before I have to drive away for the last time.

Our real estate listing is live now. When I checked Zillow just now, less than twelve hours into it, it had over forty viewings, although my husband and I probably account for four of those combined. The photos are beautiful, brightly lit, and from the best possible angles. I couldn't have asked for more. No, scratch that. I could have hoped that the contractors had gone in and snaked the drains where someone dumped sandy, gritty waste water and created a plug of mortar or grout and years' worth of drain buildup. But besides that, which we will guarantee is done before we close, the unit is beautiful. It will sell, and it will go quickly.

I had only a little time outside of cleaning and painting to visit with my daughter, but we managed to get some quality time together. It helped that I was staying in her office on the pull-out couch so I could see her more often. I was there long enough that her cats got used to having me there, and they had just begun to cuddle with me overnight when I had to pack up and leave. They wasted no time rolling all over my suitcase to claim it, so that when I got back home, I've had multiple cats re-establishing ownership of mommy and all of the mommy accoutrements. Now the big test is seeing how many are going to pile on top of me tonight. Just wait until I break it to them that when I make the next trip, they are all going with me. Three of them have never lived anywhere but here. My Carolina kitties are not going to enjoy leaving, any more than I will. But I will always have memories of this home, and I will revisit them often in my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment