Thursday, April 16, 2015

Out of Gas

Inspirational song: Easy There, Steady Now (Richard Thompson)

This morning, the unstoppable John Henry couldn't find the will to go on. He was plain tired, and didn't feel like tearing up deck boards or weeding and mulching or mowing, or even tearing down a mountain with a hammer. It was a surprise, seeing the human behind the steam engine facade, but not an unwelcome sight. I had no problem with him taking a day off. I've been kind of craving one of those myself. I put on my big girl pants (yoga pants with a suspicious amount of bleach stains and deck stain stains), and I went ahead and finished the boards I brought around to the garage to dry last night. By the time he was rested and ready to install the boards, I was in the same state of exhaustion and decided a shower and a trip to the grocery store was far more interesting than deck renovation. It was an unseasonably cold and seasonably damp day, perfect for an evening of wasting time playing games on a tablet, while sitting under a blanket, under a handful of cats. And so I find myself at the end of the day, still tired, still sore. I feel like I've done jack shit today. I received a couple of pictures of my assignment for tomorrow (rows of boards to bleach) and another smashed board to replace, but I never seemed to receive the inspiration from the universe for a topic to write about. As the kids say, I just can't even. Fingers crossed that tomorrow is much better. Although it's going to start like this...


No comments:

Post a Comment