Monday, July 27, 2015

CAN'd Aid

Inspirational song: My Window Faces the South (Willie Nelson)

Unless you won the lottery tonight, or you just married your true love, I can say with 99% certainty that I had a better night than you. I have proof. I took pictures.

Saturday, while we were leaving the liquor store where we bought the host's present for the birthday party, I noticed a poster on the wall and I stopped dead in my tracks. Dinner and a show with the Steep Çanyon Rangers, and it was for two days hence. We didn't think there was a chance there were any tickets left, but lo and behold, we bought them with no difficulty. The venue was an Oscar Blues brewery and restaurant in Lyons, and the whole event was in support of CAN'd Aid, the philanthropic foundation run by the brewery. When the big floods came two years ago, and wiped out an alarming amount of the town of Lyons, as well as many homes and businesses up the canyon which have yet to fully recover, this foundation helped get $750,000 to support flood victims. We were all too happy to participate in this little hootenanny, and listen to some fine bluegrass for a good cause.

I've seen the Steep Canyon Rangers twice before with Steve Martin (and one of those times with Edie Brickell) but this was the first time I've seen them solo. They were every bit as wonderful as I had known they would be, no A-list celebrity needed to boost their appeal. The opening act was a wonderful find. They were a talented local band called Bonnie and the Clydes, fronted by a pretty little redhead with the voice of a spitfire. When the venue got too hot, Mr S-P went outside on the patio and ended up chatting with the Clydes, and discovered they will by playing again in Longmont this Friday. I think I know what we will be doing once we are done unpacking for the day on Friday. He made an observation, before he ducked outside, while he watched all those scruffy bearded hippies grooving to the music. He realized that this funky bluegrass sound mirrored the Grateful Dead he grew up loving, epitomized by his beloved Workingman's Dead. I agreed it had a lot of the same vibe, without the mellow weight to the noodling. This had much more energy. Even I, the NON-dancer, couldn't keep still.

The day was stressful, with the deal in jeopardy over choosing a roofing contractor, and with Zoe breaking out of the apartment through a torn screen, and Rabbit hiding so well I thought she had escaped too. But it ended so well, I cannot stay mad at anyone who upset me this morning. The concert was out of this world, the venue small and intimate, and I got to totally be a fan girl for one of my favorite bands, with whom we rubbed elbows all night. Tomorrow is closing day, and I need my sleep. At least I will fall asleep humming to the bluegrass still ringing in my head.














No comments:

Post a Comment