Tuesday, July 7, 2015

How Do You Feel?

Inspirational song: Mixed Emotions (Rolling Stones)

This is the mild summer I was promised. It was downright cold last night, and cool and foggy all day. I went to see a movie this afternoon with my daughter, and I was fully in the middle of Boulder before I saw the faintest outline of the mountains through the gloom. What a glorious day! The man wondered aloud when we moved to Seattle, but I live for days like this. Another six or seven weeks, and this weather plus the first real chill of the season will equal my favorite day of the year, when thoughts turn to roaring fires, blankets, and hot cocoa. It's still July, so we have a long way to go before I start searching the sky for a stray snowflake mixed in the drizzle, but this still cooled me off to the core and I appreciate the break.

Our realtor gave us the news that the seller had no idea his house was that bad before he put it on the market. Apparently he has been an absentee landlord for a while, and his property managers never let on that they were cutting so many corners or not inspecting damage and repairs properly. We and our friends have experience with inferior property management teams, so this is not a stretch to accept as an explanation for how things could go so horribly wrong. We got the impression he was even embarrassed to have marketed the house in this condition, and he is genuinely interested in trying to save the deal. For the moment we are affording him the chance to put things right, but we have yet to get a full report from the two structural engineers needed (one for the roof, and one for everything below the roof). We both seem to have mixed emotions about how to proceed. We did like the house and the location, and we desperately need to get a yard for these damned dogs (you don't want to know...) and we are glad not to have to keep searching. But we were wholly blindsided by the inspection and were angry and hurt when it happened. Trusting is difficult. This story is not over yet.

The movie we saw today was Inside Out. It's the animated one that anthropomorphizes the various emotions that control each of us, and tells a compelling story about the development of self and loving relationships. And as it centers on a little girl up to her 11th year, there were plenty of chances for it to punch me right in the feels, watching scenes that could have been about my own two little girls, while I was sitting right there next to the younger one. If you haven't seen it, go. Do it. And be prepared to want to spend a whole lot of time telling your kids how awesome they are when it's over.

It was too cloudy for pictures to look like anything, especially to tell whether I was in Boulder or Boston or Salina, Kansas. So I will cheat and use grandkitten pictures sent to me over the last few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment