Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Lives Well Lived

Inspirational song: What Is and What Should Never Be (Led Zeppelin)

Just got home from a late dinner with an old friend I haven't seen in many years. The Mr got to see him a couple of years ago, but it's been much longer for me. This guy was the best man at our wedding, back when dirt was brand new. Maybe a decade or so ago, we would have closed down bars, even on a Wednesday night, but tonight was much more sedate. Life is catching up with all of us. We were careful about our food choices, and our single adult beverage selections were small pours. On the way back to his hotel, we talked about how weird it was that we are now the grownups, that it is our age cohorts who are the business owners, elected leaders, decision makers. For all that we still have those feelings of wondering who allowed us to be in charge of anything, because we are still teenagers on the inside, at least two of us agreed that the place where we are at now is just fine with us. Our old friend said that he believed he has lived his life well. Maybe his fourteen year old self would think he had wasted time or opportunities, but his middle-aged self did not agree. I appreciated his confidence and satisfaction with the cards he has been dealt. And I know he has had to play some really tough hands in the last ten years, even more so than what I've dealt with. I admired the sentiment, and I choose to follow his lead. I'm totally fine with who I am, where I am now, and what it took to get here. I can think back and wonder how things might have been different, but there's almost nothing I experienced that made me who I am, neither challenges to be endured nor fleeting victories, that I would go back and change, given the chance.

All that said, between my small glass of wine and staying out late, I'm not feeling particularly loquacious tonight. I stayed up too late last night, and didn't get enough recovery sleep. I'll leave my above paragraph as inspiration for all of you to reflect over your own life journeys, and exit the stage. Until tomorrow....


No comments:

Post a Comment