Saturday, June 23, 2018

Love is Love

Inspirational song: Pride (In the Name of Love) (U2)

I don't have a reputation as being overly fond of outdoor festivals. They are too... outdoorsy for me. Festivals also involve a lot more walking around than I usually like, and one way or another, the weather always gets me. It's invariably hot as the surface of the sun with unrelenting UV radiation, or seasonable strong storms blow through and send everyone under cover of tents. Today, I took the risk. I went to an outdoor festival. It was worth it. I went to the local Pride fest, in support of friends and family who place themselves all along the spectrum of sexual and gender identity. Plus, I was there in support of strangers whom I may never meet, whose rights I recognize and defend as fervently as I do my own.

We were supposed to march in the parade portion of the event, but the person who was organizing the banner-carrying and marching contingent of a local tech company, one of our D&D campaigners who asked us to join in as his friends, was hard to find when we first arrived. We slowly wandered through the closed-off street, looking at the booths getting set up, until we learned that the parade had already launched along the sidewalk up Main Street. We walked up a couple of blocks, and met up with the parade as it came back down Main. I didn't chant with them, as the calls and responses were more specifically tailored to people who identify as LGBTQIA some way or another. But I walked and waved a flag, and was there for my friend.

Being in Boulder County, even in a smaller town, this Pride fest was well-attended and cheerful. It was laid-back and homey as a Fourth of July celebration. I ran into friends from Rotary and people I hang out with at political functions. In fact, pretty much all of the local politicians and the candidates I am interested in were there. I'm upset that I didn't see my favorite US congressional district candidate, but I learned that he was there for hours. I felt guilty when people stumped for ones I did not select, knowing that my ballot is inked in and ready to submit, as soon as the office is open so I can get an "I Voted" sticker to wear around. We picked up swag, like stickers and bracelets, and I bought a beaded pin that had colors to represent the asexual point on the spectrum ("Aces"). I also covered my shirt with buttons from a couple spots, and wore rainbow temp tattoos on my cheeks.

There were a lot of people in tutus, a few people in furry costumes, some drag queens, some dancers in ballet costumes or sparkly sequins, but mostly people comfortable in their own skin, wearing t-shirts of all types, with slogans announcing their pride in themselves.

It was plenty warm and sunnier than I should have wanted. But overall I held up well, and man, did I have a great time. So glad I finally put both feet forward in support of my deeply held convictions.










No comments:

Post a Comment