Monday, June 25, 2018

Uneven Wear

Inspirational song: Tomorrow (Annie)

As it turns out, driving well into June on snow tires was a bad idea. The bad idea was compounded by going five or six thousand miles on those same snow tires without rotating them. I have made several mistakes this year. And honestly, the first mistake was probably putting the damned things on my car in the first place. I think it snowed, what, four times total last winter? I can't remember a warmer, drier winter out here. It was a waste of time and money to swap the tires that were unnecessary for nearly all of the last eight months.

I couldn't reach my all-season tires until this last week. My garage has been stuffed full of lumber and steel intended to be the shed up on the mining claim in the mountains, and the tires were trapped behind all of that. As every single piece has to be carried by hand up the hill, and I have learned that I'm particularly useless as a beast of burden this year, it is taking a long time to empty the garage. I can only hope that by the end of the warm season that we can roll the Jeep back into the garage and have access to the full driveway again.

I took two of the snow tires home after the swap. I let Costco dispose of the two that were on the front. The tread was non-existent on the inner rim of each tire. No self-respecting shop would have put them back on my car next year. I guess I'll buy two new ones and put the old ones on the back in October. Or November. Or maybe I'll just not get snow tires at all this year. Depends on what the long term forecasts are.


No comments:

Post a Comment