Wednesday, June 6, 2018

Theater of the Absurd

Inspirational song: Single Ladies (Beyonce)

Wednesdays are starting to get weird. Even weirder than before, which was politely called "avant garde" up through the last few weeks. I wrote about it a week ago when my character Brn discovered that his clerical domain granted him the ability to fly for six minutes at a go. That created pandemonium the first time we tried it. This week, I was prepared. I showed everyone at the table pictures to give them a better idea of what Brn's face looked like, and asked them to imagine the man in the photos was wearing pink. Previously, my thorough and caring GM had found an illustration that matched Brn's physical features and personality fairly well. She created a character sheet with this image on it:


At the time, this was close enough, especially with the double-fisted drinking. Tonight, things have been updated, from a somewhat Medieval look at least up to 1980. Introducing the new and improved, 3rd level Fly spell-casting, Brian Blessed Brn:



I spared you the full-length version I showed the table. Let's just say he is not wearing trousers. They're more black leather underpants.

As we started the boss battle with the enormously scary snake lady, I pulled up YouTube, and played the Hawkman battle scene from Flash Gordon as Brn's attack turns came around. (I stopped it as soon as my turns were over, and started again when I came back up in order.) So it looked a little more like this as he flew over the snake lady's head, with Queen music playing in the background:


(Allow me to interject right here that I Do Not Own These Images. I pulled them off the internet, but I am going to say the rights belong to some combination of Starling Films, Dino De Laurentiis Company, and/or Famous Films, creators of the Flash Gordon movie. Just for the record.)

Brn didn't hit very often, but he got a couple of good smacks in with his lucerne hammer and one shot with a tiny magical crossbow. It was better theater than it was combat. Not to be upstaged, Brn's best friend and drinking buddy Carol from HR needed her own fight soundtrack. So when she attacked after Brn's third pass, my neighbor started a video on his phone. "If you liked it then you should have put a ring on it..." Well played, Carol, well played.


No comments:

Post a Comment