Monday, June 11, 2018

Plan? Ain't No Plan.

Inspirational song: Can We Still Be Friends (Todd Rundgren)

The television is gonna be on all night again, isn't it? I don't know why I'm actually watching all this breathless news coverage. I don't want to be, but it's impossible to stop. I would rather be doing anything else, and if I'm super lucky, in about 10 minutes I'll be asleep for the night. The fans are finally bringing in cooler air from outside, and my bedroom is less oppressively hot than it has been all day. I should be sleeping, not watching ex-ambassadors and political scientists field time-filler questions from panels of journalists. I did agree with one who said repeatedly it was weird to hear the voice of the North Korean dictator, and I found it even weirder to notice that they referred to him by that title almost exclusively. It reminds me of the new nomenclature for mass murderers. News anchors have learned to call them "the shooter" rather than by name, both to deny them the fame they sought and to lessen the trauma inflicted on survivors and family of victims by constant repetition of names and blasting of photos.

I didn't intend on taking today as a recovery day, but I should have planned on it. I'm sore all over, but not as much as I expected after how hard I worked yesterday to make it up the hill a couple of times. I thought I was going to be doing a lot of computer work, and instead I drove around a little bit, soaked in the hot tub a little bit, put a tri-tip on the smoker, and then fell into a deep, deep slumber for a solid two hours. Good thing that dinner was mostly fire-and-forget. It wasn't so bad that I was unable to watch the clock while it smoked.

I've been trying to plot out the next story that has been burning a hole in my brain. I added two more backstories to characters, but they aren't very fleshed out yet. I need to carry a pen and paper at all times, and maybe get a grease pencil and sheets of plastic to keep by the hot tub. My mind plans and creates better when I'm relaxed, but when I'm relaxing I tend to be reluctant to reach for a writing implement. Maybe one day I'll be okay enough with the sound of my recorded voice to make audio notes, but time seems to be running out for that one.



No comments:

Post a Comment