Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Chasing the Dragon

Inspirational song: Going Under (Marillion)

One step forward, two steps back. And then another two steps back. And then turn and run half a mile even farther back. What a week this has been.

The big story from yesterday that I didn't know whether I could tell was that the Mr had a wreck in the new car he bought specifically for his side job as a Lyft driver, while he waited for the next semester's teaching gig to come around. After Alfred cost us multiple thousands of dollars at the emergency vet, and the Mr gave up all of his days off to drive double and triple time to make up the deficit that brought about, someone stopped short in front of him on the highway, and he slammed into the back of them, doing significant damage to his Focus. Because he was at work at the time (with a passenger), Lyft's insurance is in effect, with a deductible 2 1/2 times as big as the one he has under our personal insurance. And with all of the massive hailstorms that blew through in June, the body shops are backed up for more than a month. Can this get worse? Can the answer please be no?

I am trying to beat the bushes to find real estate clients, to bring in income in my chosen profession. I had a great line on someone I've known and trusted for almost three years, who had their eye on a very specific house in a very specific neighborhood. I looked up the house he asked about, all excited to walk him and his wife through it, and the place had already gone under contract, more than a week before he told me it existed. Step forward, step back. There are a couple other irons in the fire, but one is over the equivalent of a tea light candle, and the other is as yet an imaginary iron. Forward, back.

I've got to come up with some new, innovative ideas for filling in the financial holes. I am no longer physically capable of a regular job. I am too sick for that. But I'm not sick enough yet to qualify for disability. I'm in limbo. My mortgage broker friend and I were talking about how it really is a gig economy anymore, but I haven't figured out what my niche is in it yet. There are hundreds of different avenues to take, but what is right for me? I've been close to trying several things, but so far, none has seemed attainable. Step back.


No comments:

Post a Comment