Wednesday, July 25, 2018

DGAF

Inspirational song: Red, Red Wine (UB40)

At one point during the day, or at several if I am to be honest, I was probably pretty worked up about one thing or another. I felt passionately about some topic, and thought, "this matters. I can write about this later." Then it turned into game night, and as I do on most Wednesday nights, my dedication to the concept of a keto diet got left at home, and a bottle of rich red wine got taken with me to share with my foster daughter, our GM. My motivations slipped away, and so did my ability to sit up straight. I'm just lucky tonight didn't end up with a fistful of my least favorite candies (Reese's peanut butter cups) like it did last week. The only reason it didn't was because of Hops, the new puppy that our neighbor adopted. We were asked not to bring any sort of food this time, while the puppy is learning how to behave politely around guests. (For the record, he sort of failed, when he and Barley were wrestling between the couch and the table, and knocked over my wine and my old college roommate's beer, soaking the map, the table, and Mr S-P's character sheet. Magically, my wine glass refilled, and the dogs were shooed away.)

I am living the best life I can right now, but I can't say that I'm pulling any grand stories out at the end of the day when I'm tired and still not 100% sober. I used to be good at digging bits of my history out to memorialize, but I haven't dedicated myself to that in many months. That ought to be my goal right about now. Find one good story from my misspent youth to share at least every 10-14 days. Five years ago, I was using this essay space to do that, so that my kids could have access to things I never shared with them, or at least for the broader stories that they had only gotten highlights previously. I don't know whether they ever really wanted them, but I thought it might be a nice thing to have for later, when I'm gone. And in the grand scheme of things, that is what most of my writing is anyway, an attempt to find something that will outlive me. If I'm lucky, it will all be something worth having.


No comments:

Post a Comment