Monday, July 30, 2018

What to Watch For

Inspirational song: Fever (Peggy Lee)

Yesterday I held back a few pictures, knowing in my heart that today would be politely called "boring." I was right. I did as little as I could get away with, and with not much on my calendar for the day, that was extremely little. Yesterday's trip to the mountain was relatively short, compared to recent workdays, but it was just enough to drain my batteries for today. I'm not complaining, mind you. Not looking for sympathy, either. Just explaining why there's no cool new story for today.

Whenever we drive to and from the mountain, I'm always fascinated by the scenery, but I feel limited with what I can capture on a cell phone camera. A fancy DSLR camera would be nice, but it's well down on the priority list of where I want to spend my money. Once in a while I ask for the truck to stop, so I can try with the cell camera, but I'm generally not as successful as I want to be. On the walks I try to find vistas that approximate what I passed to photograph, and I did that again yesterday. There were a lot of places on the 4WD roads where tips of pine and spruce trees had died, where the sun illuminated dots of bright rusty orange in the middle of deep green, and it kept catching my eye. Once we parked, I found a similar but larger cluster, and clicked on it, without really looking at the screen to see what I had captured. Later, on the way off the mountain, the afternoon light was so pretty, but I only stopped a couple of times to memorialize the things I saw. One of these days, the trip to the claim will be less about construction and more about photographic art. I'll just keep these as preliminary sketches of things I'll be watching for on that day in the future when I have better equipment.



No comments:

Post a Comment