Thursday, July 5, 2018

Things

Inspirational song: Bela Lugosi's Dead (Bauhaus)

I did things today. I went to Fort Collins, and had a very productive sales meeting. Many things were covered, that affect us personally, as a brokerage, as northern Colorado real estate agents, and as members of the real estate industry nationally. It felt like the most valuable give and take that we have had in a long time. While there, I volunteered to hold three open houses in two weeks for three of my fellow agents. I admitted that even if nothing comes of them, I really just enjoy holding open houses, for the interaction with other people in a real estate setting. It makes me feel focused on work in a way that I don't always tune in otherwise.

But since I did things, including driving on a hot summer day, I feel dead now. I didn't sleep well last night (true, I rarely do), and I woke with my hip feeling inflamed. I soaked in hot water when I got home, to try to loosen it up, but found that only a nap would do for what was dragging me down. I spent most of the rest of the night feeling like the nap wore me out. What I wouldn't give for a body that was predictable and strong.

I did take note of where things are thriving or struggling in my yard before I got in the hot water to soak. I have lots of green tomatoes in the garden, where the plants are growing big and strong. I have a patio tomato in a pot, where the plant is spindly and yellowing, but the fruits are starting to ripen. There are squash blossoms all over, including lots of lovely little cucumber flowers, but no sign of vegetables forming yet. I can't tell whether the squirrels are getting the flowers and eating them like they did two summers ago when Bumpy wasn't here to chase them off. Now that he's no longer with us, I'm worried that critters will make off with my entire garden before I can have anything. Maybe Murray will step up his squirrel chasing game. Or maybe I'll have to count on Harvey, who volunteers to patrol the fenceline, whether he's allowed to or not.

And for the record, my Bela Lugosi daylilies are looking fabulous.





No comments:

Post a Comment