Monday, September 10, 2018

Every Year

Inspirational song: Hold On (Kansas)

I'm not as strong as I pretend to be. I tried to hold on. I gave it a valiant effort. But I was so weak, so tired. My back was in pain and I slept during the middle of the day. By the time I dressed sufficiently well enough to go out in public, there was no steel left in my spine. I caved.

I fed my addiction.


How could I resist? They were sparkly! And college ruled!

Last week one of my heroes even admitted to having a similar addiction. J.K. Rowling said that she can't walk past a stationery shop without buying something. I commented on her tweet that my children would be finding my stashes of pens and spiral notebooks long after I was dead. (And she even liked my comment, so naturally I fan-girled all over everyone.)

It's impossible for me not to pick up a few notebooks, every September, either right as they show up in back-to-school displays, or a few weeks later when they're on clearance. I feel less angry with myself when they're discounted. 

Now, about that 15-pack of Sharpies that I bought for full price that's sitting on my table right now...

No comments:

Post a Comment