Friday, September 7, 2018

No Relief

Inspirational song: Hey, Bartender (v. The Blues Brothers)

Well this day didn’t go as I expected. I knew I had a massage scheduled, and I assumed I’d be as relaxed and balanced as I usually am afterwards. I also knew I was going to a Rotary friend’s grand opening for his practice. It was supposed to be a two hour long, come and go at will sort of event. And I was just certain that this evening I’d be able to try a recipe for French macarons that I’ve been wanting to try for months.

Guess how many of my assumptions were correct?

I told Slow Hand that it was mostly my hands, shoulders, and neck hurting me today. So I stayed on my back for far too long (with my legs up on the super-sized bolster he calls “Mongo”) while he worked out the knots in my arms. I got fidgety and frantic to get off my low back before he was done. He spent the remainder of the time working deep, trying to get the intractable spasms to calm down from behind my waist, onto the top of my hips. He even leaned all of his weight on the heels of his hands, pushing down on the upper lumbar vertebrae, pushing for almost four minutes while we waited for fascia release. It was the most intense deep work I’ve had done in years, and I could barely get off the table after. I expected to come home and crawl in the hot tub to wait for it to loosen and stop hurting.

Instead, I got a phone call. My good friend voluntold me to help her set up the refreshments table at the grand opening this afternoon. I stayed at that spot for more than three hours, pouring wine and fishing beer and water out of the big ice buckets. I was also schmoozing with the rotarians and chamber of commerce folks who showed up, so not only did I wear myself out physically, I depleted all my reserves emotionally too.

I barely made it home. I might have had microsleeps on the drive between my friend’s house and mine. I nearly lost consciousness while reaching into the back seat to retrieve the beers I brought home for the boys for tomorrow (I pinched a nerve and everything started to go dark). My greatest achievement after managing to climb the stairs on the porch was to don a swimsuit before climbing in the hot tub, rather than just shedding clothes on the way outside, daring my neighbors to glance over the fence and see more of me than they could ever want.

We are supposed to go to the mountain tomorrow. The Mr and our dogs came home from there this evening, and we go back for more work tomorrow. Although it’s possible my “work” will be limited to reluctantly following the boys around with handfuls of screws and fresh drill batteries. I hope I can rest enough between now and tomorrow to be worth a damn.





No comments:

Post a Comment